Tuesday, May 11, 2010

PERSONATION is a CRIME

Yesterday on The World at One, Martha Kearney interviewed the new Liberal Democrat MP for St Austell and Newquay. She said his name was Stephen Gilbert. I object, your honour. Nobody is permitted to pass himself off as me. On Wikipedia, I find that this person calls himself Steve Gilbert. He has traded in both of these brands for 29 years fewer than have I. And the concluding paragraph of his entry reads in its entirety: “He is openly gay”.

How dare this man confuse the public in this manner. Looking further into the outrage, I discover that there is another “openly gay” Liberal Democrat, the returned member for Bristol West. And his name is Stephen Williams. My own first name is William. The whole business is an absolute scandal. You’ll be telling me next that there are “openly gay” Tory and Labour MPs called, respectively, Gilbert Stephens, William Gilbert and William Stephens. I shall go raving mad. Especially as one of David Cameron’s most trusted kitchen-cabinet, behind-the-scenes guys is called Stephen Gilbert. He’s described as “Michael Ashcroft’s right hand man” so he won’t be short of a bob or two.



The Lib Dem chap and the Cameron crony

There have been other Stephen Gilberts. The Irish writer Gilbert Ralston, perhaps most widely known for the movie version of his creepy yarn Willard (his only work of fiction), was born in the same year as my father and took the name Stephen Gilbert as his nom de plume. The Scottish-born English painter and sculptor Stephen Gilbert was far from a household name but highly regarded. I remember coming across one of his sculptures in Kenwood when I was first in London as a student. He died at a splendid age, three days shy of 97, in 2007.

The founding co-director of the New Zealand Institute of Plastic and Cosmetic Surgery is called Stephen Gilbert. All I can say is, he has some face. Another making use of the moniker is the chief executive of the Printers’ Charitable Corporation of Great Britain. I bet he’s a font of wisdom. There’s another one who markets himself as Interim Solutions but he won’t last the course. Yet another is a valedictorian senior at Shiloh High School, California and we say to him “piss off, sonny”. Then there’s the faculty lecturer in the Department of Psychology at Iowa State University. He’s making me paranoid. Still another has a website called Common Sense Internal Communications. I should sue.



Logoman + US boy with table design

Clearly, my only recourse is to ensure that I am the first up on Google when someone puts the name in a search engine. I have some way to go and this is easier said than done. But if you feel an appropriate degree of compassion for me, you’ll need vast reservoirs for my partner. His name is David James.

3 comments:

Tony aka Pismotality said...

If - and the thing is, I suppose, remotely possible - you are the same W Stephen Gilbert who contributed a letter to the Guardian today, may I say that its sentiments were on the nose? Well done you. Or possibly him.

PS Why not change "Stephen" to something unusual like Schwenck?

yanmaneee said...

balenciaga
supreme
michael kors handbags sale
hermes belt
russell westbrook shoes
jordan sneakers
christian louboutin shoes
yeezy
michael kors outlet
nike air max

shesoa said...

f0i19l6s41 m2r84u9n56 e0s40t6z22 j3l35u6z00 y3s73c6z67 j4u73m8w14